Blog 1: Introduction

Hello, My name is Iyankawin Yellow Hawk and I am an enrolled member of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, located in Rosebud, South Dakota. I am a junior at the University of South Dakota studying Psychology, and minoring in Theatre. My sole plans after receiving my bachelors degree is to go into law school, and study in areas relating to criminal law, tribal law, and civil rights law. My objective is to work for my tribe, as well as gain experiences of working in the national criminal law system, in addition to criminology. I want to help indigenous peoples in receiving equal treatment and rights throughout the criminal justice system whether that would be help in protecting tribal lands and their civil rights.

I grew up being strongly involved and grounded with my Lakota culture, traditional Lakota way of life, and my Lakota language. My goal is to always be an active member of my community. My father Royal Yellow Hawk is a fluent speaker in Lakota, tribal council representative, and traditional Lakota singer. My grandmother Sandra Black Crow was a college instructor at Sinte Gleska University, teaching the Lakota language. My goal in the beginning however was to work for my tribe, help the people by bettering communities, as well as other indigenous communities.


Pictured are my brother and sister. My brother Hoksila Lowan Mani (on the very left) and my sister Lydia (center), are both a huge part of my heart, my best friends, and my support system. Both of them inspire me to go hard for my goals, and to not give up.
I strive to always be an active leader within my community and better indigenous communities. I implicate that in each goal I set for myself. Giving up when faced with an obstacle is not an option, as resilience is an important value I live by, and is woven in my DNA as an Sicangu Lakota


To access the room block by phone use “Ogallala Commons Room Block” at:  (806) 803-5514

To reserve online use this link to book your group rate for Ogallala Commons

If you need help with your reservation call (806) 803-5500 for assistance.